Monday, July 25, 2011

Them Bones



I believe them bones are me.

I read Russell Brand's post about Amy Winehouse today. It was enlightening and the first thing I'd ever read that was about Amy the person instead of Amy the drug addict.

I'm seeing a lot of things differently tonight.

I got put into a position where I had to choose sink or swim. I chose to swim, but I had to ask for help in doing it.   Proverbs 16:18 says "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Yes, I quoted the bible, goddamnit.) I don't know a fuck of a lot about haughty spirits (the ghost of Toreadors past?), but my pride sure took a beating. Was it worth it? Ultimately, yes. I'm learning that, sometimes, when someone says they love you, they really mean it. And that old saying "when times are the hardest, you find out who your friends are" really is true. What's that? Did you just say "Georgie, I want another cliché?" I'm in an obliging mood, so here's another: If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. And I sure as hell ain't dead yet. (An awesome stop on the frequently derailing train of thought that is Georgie's stream of consciousness: Cliche Finder.)


I saw a picture of Kristin Stewart all geared up for Snow White. It's the first picture of her I've ever seen her looking hot in. I do love me a chick in armor.






It's 3:00 in the morning now, and the day's been an emotional roller coaster, topped by a hug from a sweaty Yeti. (I am, actually honored. Yeti's do not hug often.) The children are nestled all snug in their beds and the house is quiet. It's a good time for reflection. "Some dance to remember, some dance to forget."


I think we've all done things we're not proud of. We've hurt the people we loved and lashed out at those who just wanted to help. Pride gets in the way a lot, I guess. "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast." I've let people who didn't deserve my love come between me and blood family. I've gotten so involved in my own shit that I've lost touch with the people around me. I've cut people off when they needed me the most. I always expected those things to come back to bite me, and they always have. thefreedictionary.com defines karma as "the total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny." I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in karma. Whatever you do in life always comes back to you, one way or another. We always get what we deserve. "Sooner or later, Georgie, they all float down here."


I think today I learned that good karma comes back too, and I learned it in a big way. I'm still stunned, floored if you will. I smiled. I cried. I felt like a million bucks. I felt like Sally Field. "You like me, you really like me!"


In actual news today, I read about the first legal same-sex marriages in the state of New York. They talked about a lesbian couple who were aged 76 and 84 and have been together for 23 years. I cried again. I made a comment on another blog about all the shit going wrong in the world today that it's awe-inspiring to see something like this. Somewhere in the world, something is going right. 


Goodnight, sweetheart. Goodnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Blogger Templates